Monday, April 11, 2011

The Brink- You Know What I'm Talking About

I love reading Kathryn's blog.  I write my first post to empathize with her.

Tonight I was asking Kristine how Andrea's son Benson was doing on his mission in Japan since the earthquake and tsunami. I am happy to report that Benson is doing great.  At the end of the conversation Kristine said that Jared needs a root canal.  How we got from here to there in the conversation is an art.

This is about the twentieth medical or dental procedure that the Bolton's have needed done in the last 6 months.  The time, money and energy required for all of these procedures are sending Kathryn to the brink.  The brink of what I am not really sure, but I have been there and you know what I am talking about if you have been there too.  The brink is a real place.


I share my brink story so Kathryn doesn't think she's going crazy.
JD's Health History as follows:
*Summer 2009--ongoing physical therapy IT Band (did you even know *August 2009 - - Tumor Surgery
*December 2009-- Torn Meniscus
*January 2010- March 2010- - Nursing Torn Meniscus through B-ball
*April 2010- Knee Surgery
*June 2010- New Torn Meniscus
*July 2010- Knee Surgery
*September 2010- Torn MCL

The doctors assured us that none of JD's injuries had anything to do with the other.  He just had really bad luck.  Bad luck, really, I felt like Heaven and Earth were conspiring against a 16 year old and I was on the brink. The brink, of what, again I am not really sure.

I don't know how it happened just like I don't know how I got there, but somewhere between October2010 and March 2011, I moved away from the brink.  Maybe it was the fact that JD went 6 months with only 2 ear infections and no injuries.  Maybe it was just time.  Maybe it was having good insurance. Maybe it was getting adjusted to having Dad gone.  Maybe it was a great basketball season. Maybe it was I adjusted to the brink and it didn't move but I accepted it.  I dont' really know.

This week JD had a mole removed with a cyst attached to it. It is currently at pathology.  Tomorrow he will have a simple 2 hour surgery to repair the hole in his ear drum that the tumor created in 2009. And hopefully in two weeks he will be done with doctors until he gets ready to go on his mission.   One can always hope.

I feel your pain Kathryn.  I am sorry that you are on the brink.  I don't know how you get off it but I know it can happen.  And just for the record LaWrell and JD don't understand the brink.  They don't know where it is or why I was there. But I do.  And  I write for empathy purposes only.